miércoles, 4 de agosto de 2010

Composition Practice (Connectors)

COMPOSITION PRACTICE
Prof. Viviana Giménez ©

A. Use these words to connect the sentences below: although – also – however – on the one hand / on the other hand – therefore (=so) – because – for example – in fact – in order to –

1. I will go to Bariloche next winter. I have never been there before.
2. I don’t have enough money for a vacation. I will go on vacation next month.
3. She’s too young to drive. She’s not 18 years old.
4. I need an international driver’s license. I need to drive there.
5. I will pack a windbreaker. I will pack my hiking boots.
6. Bariloche is expensive. It is the only place where I would like to go.
7. There are many places where you can go skiing in Argentina. You can go to Bariloche. You can go to Mendoza. You can go to San Martín de los Andes.
8. I have many exames to take. I will go on vacation.
9. I am going to work hard and save money. I can take a long trip to Europe.



B. This is an example of a composition with questions you can use as a guide.

Composition: “What are your plans for your next vacation?”

Questions: 1. What are you going to do this summer? 2. Where are you going to go? 3. Have you ever been there before? 4. If you were there before, what did you do then? If you were not, why did you choose this place? 5. What are some things you are going to pack for this trip? 6. What are some of the things you think you will probably do there?


Answers: 1. This summer I want to relax at the beach. 2. I am not going to go to Mar del plata. It’s too noisy and crowded. I am going to go to Mar Azul. 3. I visited that place. I was in Villa Gessel last year. 4. I just spent a couple of hours at the beach that day. 5. I am going to take my surfboard. I love surfing. 6. I will probably get up early in the morning. I will go for a long walk on the beach. I will sunbathe. I will have lunch in a quiet restaurant. I will go home for a siesta. It will be a lot of fun.

But, do you have a composition here? What do you need to have a composition?


C. Rearrange this material and make the necessary corrections: you can add, remove or change words and punctuation.





D. Now, you use the questions to write your own composition. Total number of words: a minimum of 100.

CONNECTORS: You can use this list as a reference


- Addition: and – also – besides – furthermore – moreover – in addition – apart from -
- Contrast: but – however – nevertheless – still – on (one) the other hand
- Result: so - therefore – thus – as a result - consequently
- Condition: although – even though – though – in spite of / despite (the fact that) –
- Time, chronological order (to show sequence):– first – then - next – after that - afterwards - finally – later – when – currently (=now) - nowadays
- Reason: because – as - since
- Examples.: for example – for instance
- Emphasis: in fact
- Purpose: in order to
- To summarize: in short – to sum up

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario