miércoles, 25 de agosto de 2010

Neighbor vs. Neighbor, Extra Practice (Optional)


NEIGHBOR VS. NEIGHBOR
© Material elaborado por la Prof. Viviana Giménez

A. What complaints are logical for the following problems?
Match.

1. The woman in the apartment upstairs plays her piano after midnight.
2. The family across the street never cleans up their yard. The garbage blows into your yard.
3. The guy next door always parks his car in front of your driveway.

a. My neighbors are so dirty!
b. I can’t sleep with that music all night!
c. How do I get my car out of my garage now??!!

B. What are possible answers for the following questions?

1. Have things like this ever happened to you?
2. Who are these people?
3. Why are they doing these things to me?


a. They are my enemies!
b. They want to irritate me!
c. Yes, I’ve had problems with neighbors many times!

C. Match the paragraphs that have these beginnings and endings with the most important idea below:

1. These days, ...deliberately.
2. Believe it or not, . . . . with them first.
3. When you approach..., suggest it.
4. If talking doesn’t..., the situation.
5. Finally, ...your neighbor’s way.

a. Discuss the problem you have with your neighbor in a nice way. You can say or do something friendly. Offer solutions.
b. In the end, if nothing works, it’s better to stay away –maybe even move out!
c. Do not do anything extreme: maybe your neighbors are not doing that on purpose.
d. Today, we don’t really know our neighbors; so, problems appear very easily when you don’t say hi or don’t know the other person’s name.

ANSWERS

A.
1.The woman in the apartment upstairs plays her piano after midnight. b. I can’t sleep with that music all night!
2.The family across the street never cleans up their yard. The garbage blows into your yard. a. My neighbors are so dirty!
3.The guy next door always parks his car in front of your driveway. c. How do I get my car out of my garage now??!!
B.
1.Have things like this ever happened to you? c. Yes, I’ve had problems with neighbors many times!
2.Who are these people? a. They are my enemies!
3.Why are they doing these things to me? b. They want to irritate me!
C.
1.These days, ...deliberately. d.Today, we don’t really know our neighbors; so, problems appear very easily when you don’t say hi or don’t know the other person’s name.
2.Believe it or not, . . . . with them first. c.Do not do anything extreme: maybe your neighbors are not doing that on purpose.
3.When you approach..., suggest it. a.Discuss the problem you have with your neighbor in a nice way. You can say or do something friendly. Offer solutions.
4.If talking doesn’t..., the situation.
5.Finally, ...your neighbor’s way. b.In the end, if nothing works, it’s better to stay away –maybe even move out!


(the link below is in Spanish, from Clarín, but I thought it's interesting and related to this topic!)

http://www.clarin.com/ciudades/capital_federal/buen-vecino-chicos-escuelas_0_321568011.html

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario